Down here in SC, my land abuts a wetland preserve that is populated with the
worst chiggers I have ever run into.  Once I leave my manicured lawn and go
out where the antennas are hung in the trees, the chiggers are giggling as I
enter their terrain.  I have found a repellent called "Bug Barrier 100" to
be reasonably effective.  Its label says it is 98.11% deet, which I guess is
good.  In addition, I wear long sleeved shirts, kerchiefs, jeans, a
wide-brimmed hat to keep hose guys from dropping down on me as well as keep
the sun off my shiny head, and then tuck the pant legs into snake boots.
These latter items are a necessary evil since we have a large population of
poisonous snakes in this area, i.e. cottonmouths, rattlesnakes, copperheads
as well as less dangerous ones.  They also make it harder for the chiggers
to find their way inside my clothes.  About the only real effective solution
is to halt all antenna work in the wetlands until the weather turns cold and
the snakes go to sleep and the chiggers die.  Such is life in paradise.

GL all ye who work on antennas in the wilder environs

73,.

Dennis, K2SX

  _____