Stan,

Do you have the proper number of turns on the LPF toroids.  Count them
and count again.  I suspect you may have one extra turn giving you the
lower power on 40 meters.
I am not sure why you get the wide signal on 20 meters, because an extra
turn on the toroids would reduce the cutoff frequency down into the 20
meter band.

Count the number of times the wire passes through the center of the core.

73,
Don W3FPR