Ron wrote:

>The advantage of low dipoles on slopes for DX noted by Moxon
>is that the earth behind the radiator acts as a reflector.

For an HF dipole installed along a stony cliff or bluff, I've always had my
doubts that the earth and stone behind the dipole act much like an effective
ground reflector.  If the height above average terrain of this cliff dipole is,
say, 1000 feet, I suspect that the antenna actually functions mostly as if it
were just a dipole that is well elevated above average terrain level ground.
But I may be wrong.  I've had good results when I've been in a position to use
a near-cliff dipole, but I never tried to determine if there was any noticable
directivity effect.

Similarly, if the same antenna is centered on an elevated narrow ridge, how
well will the elevated earth of the ridge actually function as an effective
antenna ground, compared to the ground effects of the terrain at the bottom of
the ridge?

73,
Mike / KK5f