Hi All,

In the September QST, there is an article that relates that the ARRL Board of Directors has approved the subject plan. Details of the plan are at http://www.arrl.org/announce/bandwidth.html As a QRP CW and PSK31 operator I have a lot of problems with this plan. The lowest frequency division, <200 Hz allows CW and low bandwidth digital operation like PSK31/63 and 60 baud RTTY. For example, on 40 meters, it runs from the lower band edge up to 7035 Hz. As the lower 25 Hz of the US allocation is reserved for Amateur Extra, other CW and narrow bandwidth digital operations are squeezed into 10 Khz and the US QRP calling frequency of 7040 is excluded. Other bands are somewhat similar. The next division by frequency is <500 Hz which permits all wideband digital operation except Pactor III. Granted, the lower bandwidth stations can operate in the higher bandwidth portions, but the division is heavily weighted toward mailbox stations using Pactor II. The effect of this allocation are that semi-automatic mailbox stations using unattended Robot stations will continue to run roughshod over the PSK segments. As the PSK segments are established by International Gentlemen's agreements, this proposal is of interest to the International community as well.

I have commented to my ARRL director, and am prepared to also comment to the FCC when the proposal is submitted. The site http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hteller/changes.htm contains some recommendations for changes to the bandwidth proposal and suggestions on what to do.

Thanks for your attention,

Chas,  W1CG