Al Lorona wrote:

>There was recent discussion about the need to HOLD a pushbutton to turn on the
>APF. In January 2011, Wayne made a post entitled "Tips for using APF" in which
>he wrote,
>
>"2. There are two filter "Presets" (I and II, accessed by HOLDing the
>HI/WIDTH
>knob). You can turn APF on for one preset and off for the
>other. This control is closer to where the action is than DUAL PB, and
>I find it more convenient to use."
>
>Although this still involves HOLDing a button it may provide a better
>alternative to the whole business of enabling APF.

That suggestion will work, of course, and so too will the macro route -
but both of them are work-arounds, to compensate for functionality that
is missing from the button where it belongs.

The same applies to SPLIT: the K3 is the only high-end radio with a
non-configurable SPLIT button. All the others have an option to
configure that button as "Split and QSY" - but in the K3, that function
must be assigned to some <other> button, while the SPLIT button where
that functionality should be is no longer used.

The macro facility is seriously overplayed as an answer to missing
functionality. Remember that the K3 has only TWO dedicated macro
buttons, PF1 and PF2. Anything beyond that requires hidden controls
which are a nightmare for the guest operator.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek