On 7/22/2012 6:24 AM, KM4VX wrote:
> I do disagree with marketing that raises demands without an
> ability to meet the demand for months or years.

Elecraft has a long standing practice of announcing products well in
advance of production, and making it clear that they are doing so.
Elecraft is a small company, with limited resources, and they operate in
the same real economy as the rest of us.  In that real world, parts
often take a lot longer to obtain than when projected, parts vendors
don't always ship what they promise, things don't fit on the circuit
board, so it has to be re-designed, a new operational capability is
requested which requires re-design, design engineers may have personal
issues, or may get diverted to solving a problem with an existing
product, and so on.

I greatly appreciate Elecraft's product announcements, and I accept them
for what the are.  They allow me to plan for building out my station --
in my case, I've been improving my antenna farm, working out switching
for it, and working on replacing the manual Ten Tec antenna tuners for
my wire antennas.  The KAT500s will do that, and help with the
switching. While I'm waiting for the tuners (I ordered at Dayton) I'm
continuing to work on the rest of it, and when they arrive I'll be ready
for them.

Not long after I finished college I was working in an engineering lab
and needed repairs on my VW beetle.  I had been introduced to a great
mechanic who had his own small shop, and took it in for repair. There
was a lot of work, and it wasn't going to be cheap. Later that day I
called him to tell him to stop working on it because I'd lost my job.
I'll never forget his response -- "Don't worry about it, when you have
the money, I'll still need it."  He did the work, and I picked up the
car a few days later.

73, Jim K9YC