OK, Mike. I did re-read it and I still am not sure what you mean. The
phrase that's throwing me is

"leg of the Y cable that goes to the K3 as the Elecraft leg"

Presently I have a "Y" (from SteppIR). One of the arms goes to the
SteppIR, one to the K3. The "stem" of the "Y" has a female DB9 that
acccepts the cable from the computer.

I have the manual. That's what prompted the question.

Anyhow, it'll be here in a couple of days, and like you say, that'll
make it clear.

73, Mike NF4L