Roy,

I have had a similar problem with characters missing from the beginning of a
transmission. Don is right that the radio is power hunting (I call it spooling
up).
The way I have solved mine was I have used the K3 utility program and page
49 of the current K3 manual and redid the 'Transmitter Gain' then proceeded
to do the rest of the steps as Don points out with ALC adjust in transmit
TEST mode, then all was fine.

Michael N8NOC