Sorry for getting into this thread so late, but couldn't resist any longer.

Boy when I took my first exam, I don't think that they had cameras,
let alone photo IDs.  I don't think that they had them on my USNR ID
card, that I received a few years later when I was 17.

In Tucson the FCC inspector(RI) and his tape machine only came around
about twice a year.  Early in my sophomore year in high school, our
local SCM , who was also our code and theory mentor and instructor,
recommended that we try taking the 13 WPM code test for the
experience, but not to expect to pass it.  So my four buddies and I
went down and promptly failed.  Later we received a waiver, and
didn't have to attend Study Hall, if we instead went to the high
school's "set aside" radio room and practised Morse code reception and theory,

So after about six months of diligently practicing, it was time to go
again and meet with the inspector.  This we all did with great hopes
of being successful.  However, no joy, we were way too nervous to
give adequate attention to be able to copy the 65 straight characters
necessary.  I did the best, by copying about 120 consecutive
characters correctly, except that I had one error in the middle.

A few weeks later, at our weekly after school practise session with
our SCM, he announced that we was were going to have a code contest,
and that he would buy the winner a malted (remember those ?)  Well
after about 5 minutes of sending with a hand key (he was very good),
he had us turn in our papers with what we'd copied.  It seemed like
forever that we had to wait, while he inspected our papers.  When he
finally was through, he announced " You have all passed the code test
for a Conditional class license !"  Well WE bought him a malted !

After we completed the "mail in" Theory test and received our class C
licenses we spent about six months working CW, on mostly 40 meters,
before going again to take the tests before the RI.  So with nothing
to lose and no nervousness, we all passed the class "B" exam with
flying colors, including the written part with all the required
drawing of schematics and the real math problems(no multiple
choice).  After the required one year waiting period, we again went
before the RI and took and passed the class "A" exam that gave us
phone privileges on 80, 40 and 20 meters.

Yes things were a bit different then ('46) , and as we all like to
think, harder !

73.

Chuck,  W7CS