Good Evening,
    We had two good nets on a couple of weak bands.  QSB on both but the
lion's share of QRN on 40 meters.  Someone, somewhere was getting a
thunderstorm.  Here we are getting rain but it is slow and without wind.
  Propagation was not great last week and it has held through the
weekend.  While working on these two computers I was listening to a
contest.  Folks would fade in, hold the frequency for a bit, and then
fade out so someone else could take their place.
    After a week of cool weather, where I could cut and move firewood,
this one was warm and then hot.  Pretty dry too which helped a forest
fire start in the Cascades of Washington.  I awoke on Thursday to a
strange smell.  It was burning pine.  There are no native pine trees in
the Coast Range so I knew I did not have to rush out the door.  The next
two days had the Columbia Gorge fill with smoke which pushed over my
ridge.  It was pretty hazy until the front moved through and blew some
of it away.

    On to the lists =>

   On 14049.5 kHz at 2200z:
K0DTJ - Brian - CA - K3 - 4113
AC5P - Mike - OK - K3 - 2170
W8OV - Dave - TX - K3 - 3139
N0AR - Scott - MN - K2 - 4866
W0CZ - Ken - ND - K2 - 1031
AB9V - Mike - IN - K3 - 398

   On 7045 kHz at 0200z:
W8OV - Dave - TX - K3 - 3139
K0DTJ - Brian - CA - K3 - 4113
W0CZ - Ken - ND - K2 - 1031
N0AR - Scott - MN - K2 - 4866

   It was good to hear you all.  From the scattered weather reports it
looks like things are cooling off.  Even Dave, in Texas, spoke of cooler
temperatures.  I think they got a little of the rain from Isaac so
hopefully they are not as bone dry.  The sun is setting noticeably
earlier than even last week.  Soon the equinox and then preparations for
winter.  Summer has zoomed by but it has been an enjoyable one.  While
cutting firewood and clearing the down trees I am trying to create a few
paths to some grassy areas.  Seems the local elk and deer population
have been keeping their eyes (and ears and noses) on me.  Each time I
walk the new paths I find signs that elk or deer have either been
browsing or napping.  While cutting through the hung up fir and alder I
have to cut my way through young alder.  To make things more pleasant
for me I leave some shade.  Once in a while the grassy area is right
under where I am cutting the alder to allow me to cut the fir.  Within a
day I find they have taken advantage of that spot for a nap.  Now that
early elk season has begun I expect more encounters with the wily elk on
this mountain.
    Until next week stay well,
       73,
          Kevin.  KD5ONS  (Net Control Operator 5th Class)

-