On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 20:50 -0700, vk4tux wrote:
> Ok, I was thinking the P3/SVGA drew less current at 15v than 12v, due to the
> 5/3.3/2.5/2.2 v pwr supply setup requiring less current at 15v input than it
> does at 14v input or less.

That's right.

> I checked the K3 output with a 20 ohm/50w variable rheostat and it trips at
> 0.6amp or 600mA on my fluke 87.

With a 15V supply, the P3 current is probably low enough that it will
run OK from the DC output jack of an unmodified K3.  The modification is
still worthwhile (1) so that the P3 will still work if you (or someone
else) tries to run it on a lower-voltage supply, and (2) because the
modification reduces the voltage drop to the DC output jack.

Alan N1AL