Well, CW or Phone, to the recipients of help it doesn’t matter.  So in that
light I would like to pass along the following URLs and also an article that
a ham from my former club sent to the club’s reflector.  Hope you enjoy
these.  The main page of the AARL site has a nice list of stories to follow
up on as well.

Cheers,
-rick, K7LOG

>From Computer_World_Wrapup
* Ham Radio Volunteers Help Re-establish Communications After Katrina
http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,104418,00.html?nlid=PM

>From a posting to the local VHF reflector up here.  A nice story about a ham
in Portland saving 15 lives.
http://easylink.playstream.com/katu/050831ham_operator_530pm.wvx

>From another mailing of Computer_World_Wrapup a story of Dennis
Motschenbacher, Marketing Manager (I think) for the ARRL.
* Ham Radio Operator Heads South To Aid Post-Katrina Communications
http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,104446,00.html?nlid=PM

Highlights from a story in today's Wall Street Journal, As Telecom Reels
>From Storm Damage, Ham Radios Hum:

With Hurricane Katrina having knocked out nearly all the high-end emergency
communications gear, 911 centers, cellphone towers and normal fixed phone
lines in its path, ham-radio operators have begun to fill the information
vacuum. . . .

In an age of high-tech, real-time gadgetry, it's the decidedly unsexy ham
radio -- whose technology has changed little since World War II -- that is
in high demand in ravaged New Orleans and environs. The Red Cross issued a
request for about 500 amateur radio operators -- known as "hams" -- for the
260 shelters it is erecting in the area. The American Radio Relay League, a
national association of ham-radio operators, has been deluged with requests
to find people in the region. The U.S. Coast Guard is looking for hams to
help with its relief efforts.

Ham radios, battery operated, work well when others don't in part because
they are simple. Each operator acts as his own base station, requiring only
his radio and about 50 feet of fence wire to transmit messages thousands of
miles. Ham radios can send messages on multiple channels and in myriad ways,
including Morse code, microwave frequencies and even email.

Then there are the ham-radio operators themselves, a band of radio
enthusiasts who spend hours jabbering with each other even during normal
times. They are often the first to get messages in and out of disaster
areas, in part because they are everywhere. (The ARRL estimates there are
250,000 licensed hams in the U.S.) Sometimes they are the only source of
information in the first hours following a disaster. "No matter how good the
homeland-security system is, it will be overwhelmed," says Thomas Leggett, a
retired mill worker manning a ham radio in the operations center here. "You
don't hear about us, but we are there."
<<<

While the Wall Street Journal Web site is by subscription only, the article
is also posted on Boston.com at

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2005/09/06/as_telecom_
reels_from_storm_damage_ham_radios_hum/