All,

There's a trick I learned from an antenna engineer acquaintance
recently for tuning 450 ohm feedline's with a 1:1 balun with 50 ohm
coax feeding the TX.

Here it is:

1. Assemble three RG11 coax lengths.  One coax 6 feet 7 inches long,
one coax 6 feet long and one coax 9 feet long.  From these three coax
lengths you can test with four different lengths of 75 ohm coax;
6' 7", 12' 7", 15' 7" and 21' 7".

2. Beginning with the 6' 7" cable and connect the coax between the
balun and the 50 ohm feed line, repeat the test below with each of
the lengths above.  Connect the cables with double female connectors.

3. If you have an analyzer (MFJ analyzers work fine for this) that
gives the Rs, Xs and SWR go to step 4; If you don't go to step 6.  If
you have an AIM 4170 analyzer, you are in luck.  The AIM allows you
to do single shot analysis of a single frequency, displaying more
information than you need for this test.

4. Record the Rs, Xs and SWR of each combination at the frequency you
are interested in.  A spread sheet makes this a little less tedious.

5. After recording the calculate the SWR the tuner will see with the
following rules:

Disregard Xs.

If the Rs is greater than 50 divide the Rs by 50.
if the Rs is less than 50 divide 50 by the Rs.

The result will be the SWR the tuner is working against when
searching for a match.

In my case I am looking for a calculated SWR lower than 10:1 to help
my KAT500 tuner find an acceptable match to my KPA500 and NVIS Loop,
which works on all amateur bands for close in Non-DX rag chew
communications.

6. You can still do the test, but you will need to do it by testing
with the tuner for the best combination of matches at each frequency
of interest.

If you are going to do the tests, remember to use the MINIMUM power
your tuner can tune with and allow time for your rig to cool down
between tests.

7.  When you have completed your tests measure the length of the
joined test coaxes, including the double female connectors, and make
a piece of RG11 that length.

DISCLAMER:  I'm not a real technical guy and probably don't know as
much antenna theory as many of you, but what I have described worked
for me.  Your experience may not be the same.

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member