David,

My XYL and I have been away, so my apology for being slow to make a comment.

If your remote Beverages are to be used on 160m, 80m and 40m, and a remote TRF is used on each band to provide selectivity and gain, then unless their outputs are combined before up-conversion then obviously you would require a home-to-remote site link to band-switch the TRFs.

Of course I have no idea as to the level of BC signal(s) etc your Beverages would present to the TRFs, but as you know the size and mix of all Iron/ Ferrite cores used in the system (including the combiner's) must be chosen with care to prevent "Core Generated IMD" becoming a "problem".

Another difficulty which might arise in an up-conversion scheme is the generation of intermodulation products, either by the up-converting mixer or by any subsequent stage. This makes me wonder whether it would be better to run the 160m, 80m and 40m TRFs continuously, and view their combined outputs as "Baseband". Then use this "Baseband" signal to Angle Modulate (FM or PM) the microwave transmitter at the remote site. At the home site the recovered baseband from a FM/PM receiver would be the 160m, 80m and 40m bands. Of course a home-to-remote link would not be required.

Here I must put my hand up, because it has been a -long- time since I designed any microwave kit, and I cannot recall if a "Baseband" extending to 7.2 MHz is feasible.

Best wishes to you, David, to all on the "List", and to everbody at Elecraft for the New Year when it comes!!

73,

Geoff
LX2AO