Hello Barry,

Very strange problem I am having between the K3 and the computer for rig
control using a usb to serial adapter (prolific chip set).  Sometime it
works just fine and other times it goes funky, looses rig control or cw
keying or keying the tx with no power output. When I reboot it sometime
works fine and not other times.

Make sure that you have no RF in the shack. If RF is present, it can enter direct in the K3 or affect the adapter and create problems, which you have described. So keep the RF of the K3 and the adapter with torroids on the control cable.
--
73/72 de Ingo, DK3RED - Don't forget: the fun is the power!
www.qrp4fun.de - dk3...@qrp4fun.de