On 26 May 2013, at 4:47 PM, mcduf...@ag0n.net wrote:
> On Sun, 26 May 2013 16:40:48 -0400, Bill wrote:
>
>> Is it necessary that the top of the amp be unblocked? I was thinking of
>> the KAT500 being placed on top of the amp. Perhaps the other way around
>> would be better? Any side clearances required?
>
> You'll find out when you build the KPA that the top needs to be kept clear.
> Air
> intake is at the top, and exhaust at the rear.  It moves a lot of air when the
> fan hits high gear :)  Others have put the tuner under the amp.  It also helps
> to hold the tuner down when you hit a button.  I'm more than likely going to
> do
> the same thing when I get mine.

I thought that, too, so when I set up my K-Line I put the KAT500 under the
KPA500 on the desk. Then I saw the setup at Dayton, where they had the KPA500
with the KAT500 on top.

I asked the person at the booth and he told me that there is no problem running
the amp with the tuner on top, that they are designed to have adequate cooling
when installed in that position.

Hope this helps.

John K8AJS
jbast...@me.com