On 27 May 2013, at 7:53 AM, Ken K3IU <kenk...@cox.net> wrote:
> Just thought I'd pass this along in case others may have experienced
> something similar...
>
> Over the weekend in the WPX contest I noticed that I was occasionally being
> replied to as EA3IU rather than K3IU. After the first couple of times, I
> noticed that each time that it happened, I had just made a large frequency
> change on a band and the KAT500 had briefly reacted with a small change.
> Thinking about it, if the first element of the K ( _._ ) is being  shortened
> by action of the KAT500, then what was being sent would certainly be
> interpreted as EA( . . _ ) rather than K. I'll do some testing with a
> separate receiver (my K2) and see if I can duplicate it. I'll also re-read
> the manual on the KAT500 to see if I can make it less sensitive to in-band
> freq changes. I know that there are changes in settings that can be made.
>
> 73, Ken K3IU

What contest software were you using and how were you generating the CW?

I noticed the effect you're talking about, running WriteLog software and using
"PC Generates" for CW. The CW was very short and choppy, and you're right about
the first part of the first character element being chopped off. The effect was
constant and didn't seem to be related to any frequency changes.

I worked around it for the contest by using my Idiom Press K3 electronic keyer
to generate the CW instead of the computer. It slowed things down a lot, but
the CW was good and I didn't have recognition problems.

My solution to the problem is going to be to use an external keyer to generate
the computer CW instead of the computer itself. In my case, I have a W5XD
Multi-Keyer that I used with my Yaesu rigs before I changed to the K3 rig; I
had taken it out of service, thinking I didn't need it since I'm no longer
going to be running SO2R, but I guess I need it for the CW.

And another thought, after your frequency change, is the KAT500 not changing
until it sees some RF? It seems that when you make a large frequency change,
the KAT500 should be following you and updating when you tune the radio, based
on settings it has already determined, not waiting until you start to transmit
to make the change.

Hope this helps.

73,

John K8AJS