Thanks to all who responded. Fred has the answer for me, select VOX AUTOOFF
(I actually thought I had this mode selected but apparently not) Anyway
this works great, thanks Fred.
If you forget VOX is in AUTOOFF the first CW key press gives a reminder in
VFO B,  VFO=OFF, but not subsequent key presses only the first. This is is
fine for me.
73 All, Deni F5VJC