Mike...  two good questions to ask!  The speaker and the headphones both
sound the same, and now...  I believe I'm getting signals of normal
strength (on my home tuner/antenna).  I will do more comparisons with my
FT-950.

My Palstar tuner does indicate exactly 5 watts out (same as for my FT-950
set to 5 W), and the FT-950 is getting a nice clean signal when I key the
K1.

So....  I conclude the transmitter is working normally, and maybe I need to
concentrate just on the sidetone.  I gather that's in the U4 area?   David