Don...  I was unable to find any further loose parts (from speaker
nut/washer) in the front panel area.  They appear to have lodged on the
rear panel, but could certainly have bounced around a bit.

As for weak signals, I was camping the the Yukon, so maybe why I was
hearing weak signals!

So it sounds like we are down to FP U2.  I don't look forward to trying to
replace it ! but guess I'm going to be trying.  That's an analog signal out
of pin 1?

I now notice that switching filters has no affect on the bandwidth...
 maybe that confirms that FP U2 is in need of replacement?  Can we rule out
the MCU?  Appreciate your help.  David