Hi Randy and All,

A lot of answers to your questions, but I think what you really need to do is read the extensive coverage of this topic by Rudy Severns, N6LF. Go to this website:

http://www.antennasbyn6lf.com/

There are at least two groups of QEX articles you probably would be most interested in reading. One is his general series on ground system experimentation, and his later articles on elevated radials. All these were published in QEX, and Rudy did a great deal of study and experimentation in preparation for writing them. Few people understand this subject better, or at least the practicalities of such systems.

Early on Rudy commented that as few as 4 elevated radials could probably outperform an extensively laid ground radial system. However, it turns out that this also required very rigid tuning procedures, and that probably 8 or more were really what would be necessary. The bugaboo, apparently, is getting the current distribution right in the radials themselves--otherwise they can become counter productive, or I think that was his conclusion.

In any event, this is really good stuff, and well worth studying. It may not answer all your questions, but you will undoubtedly learn a lot about radial systems in the process, and you can experiment on your own as you see fit.

Dave W7AQK