First let's explain what Wayne meant:  If you use a secondary sound
card/device, you won't accidentally transmit an operating system sound (many
of which are musical).  You also won't have to constantly twiddle with
levels as you switch from OS to the radio.  And it allows you to have the
computer alert you to DX or whatever you have it set to do, without
transmitting that sound, while you're operating in a digital more (the
computer is quite capable of having two or more sound cards at the same
time).

I use a SignaLink (Tigertronics).  But there are far cheaper and expensive
options, including one I recently saw at another shack that cost a whopping
$5.78 after tax and shipping.  It failed from structural weakness (SMD
connector broke from the board, overstressed) but it did work before that.

So between $5 and whatever the fanciest device costs is what you'll pay.
They all work, but you'll likely want a little more quality than the
cheapest.

Jim Brown has done a study of several models and can list some potential
watchouts (poor bonding, pin one issues etc) so maybe he'll chime in here.

The bottom line (to me) is that you have a serious radio, you're building a
serious station, why diddle around with being cheap on a critical part, the
sound card by trying to multiuse the computer sound card.  That's like
putting retread tires on a sports car.  ;o)

73,

Rick wa6nhc