I like to think of an Inverted L as a vertical antenna and a horizontal wire
matching device.  This is not entirely accurate, but is close enough for
contact distances over 2000 miles.  An examination of patterns with EZNEC will
help you put this into perspective.  The vertical portion is the difficult to
erect portion of the inverted L and does most of the radiating for DX.  The
pattern is much like a short vertical for lower frequencies where the vertical
length is usually much less than one quarter wave length, but the horizontal
portion will raise the radiation resistance from usually single digits to
nearer 50 ohms and increase the current in the vertical leg, thus give you more
low angle signal.  For higher frequencies where antenna vertical lengths
greater than one quarter wave and radiation resistance more than 36 ohms or
sometimes much less.  An inverted L is often a good choice for 160 meters and
sometimes 80 meters for those of us who
 cannot erect a 250 foot vertical to get an optimum low angle signal.  A 120
foot vertical is a good compromise and 15 or so ohms of ground resistance is a
good counterpoise for a near 50 ohm match, but if that is not doable a 60 foot
vertical and a 60 or so foot horizontal leg is a decent antenna with a more
reasonable cost.  If your operating frequency is higher then the inverted L is
attractive only under special circumstances such as emergency, portable or
antenna restrictions.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart