On 10/20/2013 1:46 PM, mcduf...@ag0n.net wrote:
All this said, remember if you are detecting tones ELECTRONICALLY (not by
ear/brain cooperation), higher frequencies work better.  The reason is the same
as what makes VHF PL tones work better when they are in the higher end of the
chart.  There are more AC cycles per millisecond so the decoders can detect them
quicker.

The problems are unrelated, so your conclusion doesn't make sense to me. The PL decoders are determining the frequency of the tone, whereas the brain, and a CW decoder, are listening to or looking at the envelope. Moreover, the filtering in front of the decoder will be most effective on the lower frequency tones, again because of the greater percentage bandwidth as compared to the difference in Hz of an interfering signal.

FWIW, my CW pitch is usually set around 500-550 Hz unless a guest op changes it.

73, Jim K9YC