Todd;
It is worth noting that there are a few parts to solving this problem. Audacity
is a great software package, but it is only needed for the encoding of the file
format problem. You can get the recording into your computer without anything
else. There is a sound recorder utility included in Windows and on other
platforms here are similar utilities. You can break this problem down into
three parts:

1 - Connecting your K3 to your PC so the sound can be captured. (Requires
cables discussed at length in the mailing list archives. Jim, K9YC has some
sound and simple advice (no need for fancy sound interfaces if you are careful).
2 - Playing the recording without transmitting (TX TEST mode is useful here)
and recording it on the PC in any format you can.
3 - Converting to a nice compressed format for email.

You can do 2 and 3 together if you have the right software, but if you want to
get it out of the rig 'now' you can defer step 3 until you have an audio
transcoder like Audacity available to you.

Just save the sample as a WAV file and test playing it back on the computer.
You might find that this file is appropriate to email if you use an 8kHz sample
rate…

If you want to compress it for email, then you will need to use a transcoder
(such as the functions built into Audacity, QuickTime or other examples)…

There is no good reason to record the DVR output at anything higher than 8kHz
sample rate, but 16kHz will be an appropriate amount of overkill. 44.1 and 48
kHz is just a waste of space.

Good luck,
Alan
K2ACK

--
k 2 a c k a t p o l y p h a s e d o t c a

Wilhelm
Reply: d...@w3fpr.com d...@w3fpr.com