I have had just the opposite results with v 1.58

My amp is an AL-811, I run it at about 300-400w on 160m
My 160m antenna is a 7' tall HiQ screwdriver antenna (also with a top hat) @ 20' with 16 radials each 13' long on my apartment roof.

With no tuner my SWR on 160m ranges from 2.0:1 to 4.5:1

With v1.54 I was unable to run the KAT500 in Auto
it would tune just fine and then while talking
it would randomly fold back and start a search
for an elusive low swr point

With v1.58 I am able to find a stable resonant point
yes at first there was a major 'clackity-clack' search,
which resulted in a point 'close' to resonant.

But if I immediately taped the [TUNE] button again,
there is a much quieter, shorter search,
that resulted in a stable tuning point in AUTO.

I can then enjoy my 2 hr morning ragchew with out any retuning.

The next morning when I tune up there may be a brief quiet retune, but that is caused by the different overnight moisture changes on the roof.
Once that initial retune takes place it's once again stable.

ymmv