just a thought....
how about creating a macro that does what you want...?

On 3/19/2014 9:31 AM, Gary Smith wrote:
Bill,

Understood that some only use it that way, that is not my norm
though. I chase DX and If I engage the magenta operation with the P3,
its to be transmitting on a DX's listening frequency and in all those
cases I will be split.

Since 1979 I've never listened on two bands simultaneously and if I
want to see what's happening on different bands that is of my DX
interest, I use the spot log in Logic 9, my logging software and it
compares all current spots posted in North America (my default) to
what is needed in my log and displays who, what, when, & where and
one click on the spot log & I QSY there. For that matter, it can
retain that spotting data for up to a month if I'm seeking a trend on
an operators methods.

So, for my style of operation to date, I 100% of the time would want
the P3 to engage MKR B as a transmit frequency. For the prior 20
years till I assembled the K3 in 08 I used a Corsair II & external
VFO; I used it that way as well with the external VFO listening for
the place to transmit. Now thanks to the P3 I can see the spots and
don't need to hear them and the P3 is a great tool for DXing for me.

What I do when I seek DX is so logical to me I can't help but think
its common for others as well. SInce the P3 communicates with the K3,
a firmware update of either the P3 or K3 to allow this choice of
engaging split when you select MKR B would be a genuine asset, I
expected it was a given.

Gary
KA1J

No, not intuitive.

MKR B is the VFO B frequency. Often one wants to listen on the B
frequency. It may be on another band.
SPLIT is a special case, not the norm.

...bill nr4c

Gary Smith <g...@ka1j.com> wrote:

Reading the P3 screen I see a station transmitting. I use Marker A
(Green) to pin me on that desired station as soon as I tap the knob
to QSY me to a desired signal.

I listen to the station and they say UP so I know to hold in the MKR
button to activate B ((Magenta) I see where the last transmission is
and I place the Magenta marker at that location and tap: The Sub Rx
goes to that frequency where the DX was last listening but sub is not
engaged, it just sits on that frequency and does nothing with it.

Problem is that if I don't then reach over and manually hold the
split button on the K3 itself to have the K3 transmit on the DX
listening frequency, I'll still keep transmitting on the DX transmit
frequency because the K3 will not have gone split; its as if the
procedure is halted half way and it shouldn't function this way, its
not intuitive.

If I'm going to the effort to engage Marker B to QSY its because I
want to transmit on the Marker B frequency. What do I have to the do
differently to force the K3 go split to transmit on the B freq when I
tap on MKR B?

Thanks,

Gary
KA1J