OK, I "own" this topic :-)  Meaning I started it.

My purpose was to discover any facts or "truths" regarding continued use of win-XP. If the upgrades are to become NLA, then it will be harder to keep an older machine running. I think we all know that windows needs to be re-installed on a clean HD every few years to keep it running. If the files needed are gone then life expectancy is limited (unless you store away all the current upgrade files for future use). Synopses is that the files will continue to be available.

Topic drift over to Linux is probably inevitable but that is not an option for the computer I was re-building for my wife. She is not interested in learning Linux. It took a leap of faith to try win-7 on her new laptop. Very fortunate that a lot of computer mfr's are offering win-7 as an option to win-8 with new computers -- says a lot about acceptance of win-8.

Re: appropriateness of some computer issues to this reflector. Computers are now common place part of most ham shacks so some topics are germane (with limits). I'm done on this thread.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: