Dave, I have had pretty much the same experience. I think I would have placed
the 2.1 kHz passband that you settled on a bit higher, say, LO=0.30 and
HI=2.40, or even LO=0.40 and HI=2.50, which is probably better matched to the
majority of contesters' transmitted signals out there. But I realize that not
everybody's ear is the same, and my settings could even result in a listener's
fatigue in you.

For years I have heard folks state that 1.8 kHz is mandatory for SSB
contesting... but I have never understood how one could put up with this narrow
bandwidth for long. I need more information hitting my ears and am perfectly
happy with letting the famous 'ear-brain' filter extract the maximum from that
information.

This illustrates what I have just stated in another post: receiver settings are
very specific to each operator. One size doesn't fit all. That's why, thank
goodness, our rigs have so many wonderful controls that can be tweaked to sound
'just right'.

Al  W6LX