Youngest daughter:
http://www.joyfarmerclary.com/Sites/Joy_Farmer-Clarys_Welcome.html

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
        Dwight D. Eisenhower, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

On 4/1/2014 12:00 PM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Message: 3
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 20:43:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:maxwel...@aol.com
To:elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] REF: KX3 Unstable SWR Reading

I am seeing a similar concern with my KX3/KXPA100 home station. The KXPA100 ATU tunes it right down to 1.1-1.2. Then when I start transmitting it jumps up between 2 and 3. This doesn't happen all of the time nor on all bands. I have worked with Dick and he has put a lot of effort into my concern, much of it off hours by the way. Great service and great concern demonstrated by Dick. Try to get a response from the big three at all-let alone on weekends. We ran traces on the tuning process and it shows a good tune right down to where it needs to be. However, the SWR then jumps up when I go to full power. I am not sure it is a real problem as the power meter shows I am getting out OK. But it is concerning to be transmitting 100 watts and seeing the SWR jump up to 3 after it has tuned down to 1.2. I don't believe it is in my antenna because I put an LDG tuner in the line and it tunes solid and stays there. I know gut feel isn't very scientific but I think there could
be
   an issue with the SWR circuitry.  At lower tuning powers it senses SWR OK,
but with higher power levels it doesn't. It may well be that my SWR is varying
and maybe the sensing circuits in the KXPA100 are just more sensitive than the
LDG circuits, I don't know.  All we really know at this point is that the
traces look really good, the ATU takes the reported SWR down to more than
acceptable values even when the antenna SWR is above 10.  I may try putting a
variable dummy load on it to see if I can duplicate the problem into a known
stable load.  Keep in mind that this is more of a nuisance item to me and I
love the KX3/KXPA100 combination. 10m was wide open this weekend and I worked
Japan, New Zealand, Hawaii, and China with a very minimal horizontal loop at 15
feet.  I know this is anecdotal but I believe the low noise receiver and
filtering made it possible. Good stuff!

Tom/AE5QB