Well I believe it is better to 'close talk' most microphones in a typical
Ham shack environment, 2 inches typically. Reduces background noise and
reverberation.
Most of us are not operating in a broadcast studio acoustically dead
environment.
Of course,  adjust Mic gain and Compression to suit, and please, please no
HEAVY Bass Eq it's totally wasted communications power and sounds rather
NAFF IMHO.
And, 3kHz audio BW is Plenty wide for our purposes.
Compression is good, used properly.

Expert opinions please?

73,  F5VJC