I wanted to note the KPA500 is on a 220v AC line.

I did try backing off the K3 to FW 4.83 and also reloaded 1.38 in the KPA500
with no change in results. In running though the KPA500 menu, I noticed that
the INHIB IN was set to ENABLE, which according to the manual means ...

"ENABLE allows the amplifier operation to be inhibited (won’t amplify) when
a logic low is
applied to pin 11 of the AUX Connector (see pg 26). When amplification is
inhibited, an
underscore instead of the asterisk appears on the left end of the LCD
display."

But this is not what I experienced (unless I don't understand what is being
said.) The asterisk was always there (not an underline) whether or not it
was set to ENABLE or DISABLE. In fact, going back and restoring from earlier
saved configurations I found the setting had been ENABLED since January of
this year. So apparently that doesn't work when using the K3 and Elecraft
AUX cable. Interesting....

I do now have it set to DISABLE, but as I said not no avail.  ..mike  AI^II