As the  CE of a TV station in South Florida we had to contend with lightning
during about 4 to 6 months a year (spring & fall thunderstorm seasons) in
the highest lightning strike area of North America.
We did not ever shut down but did go to generator power during lightning
within 25 miles; as seen on the radar display with lightning strikes
superimposed.

We had a 1,049' main tower, 2-500' microwave receive towers and a 185' tower
at the studio not to mention 2 bureaus with antennas on the 3rd floors.
The towers had massive ring ground systems. The rings varied from 20'
diameter to 30' diameter. each ring had 10' & 20' alternating 100% copper
rods cad welded to a 4-0 bare copper wire. The ring was attached to the
tower leg's 20' ground rod with 2 or 3 radials per leg. The tower ground rod
was set in the foundation to be next to the leg and connected to the leg
with the least angle. (remember a right angle from the leg is a 1/4 turn
inductor!). The guyed towers also had a ring ground system around the
anchor.

All RF, video, audio & data signals going to the tower at the site were
protected with commercial protectors except the studio tower which was
replaced with fiber to carry those signals.

We probably took between 6 and 10 direct hits on a good year and many many
more on a bad year.

The new studio & one of the bureaus had a ground system constructed to
reduce lightning damage. The building had a perimeter ground system with a
single point power & phone and the exit panel for RF, video, audio, data and
dc control. The ground systems was 4-0 copper with ground rods about 10'
apart.

We did find that our damage was reduced but not eliminated. We never went
off the air; but we did have periods where we were using redundant (back-up)
equipment for a while until the main equipment could be repaired.

Our largest reduction in damage occurred once we deployed dissipation
arrays! These reduce the space charge in the immediate area in hopes the
lightning choses another location (competitor's tower). My experience with
towers, satellite antennas & ENG microwave antennas on 50' masts on trucks
is that the dissipation array is #1 then a ground system followed with surge
protectors. I would not chose one but all three.

We had a saying at work about lightning protection after repairing extensive
damage after a bad hit - Lightning protection is akin to elephant
repellant - just because you don't see an elephant does not indicate the
repellent actually works. I spent over 30 years in South Florida and would
never come close to guaranteeing that we had finally done everything to
eliminate the risk!

Not sure at what point you should stop spending money on lightning
protection for a hobby should go. For me at my new QTH it will probably be a
few surge protectors, grounding each mast & tiny tower and a simple ground
improvement to the house.
73
George
AI4VZ