Hi Bruce,

The 4-band module requires extremely low-temperature-coefficient trimmer
capacitors because of its narrow-band pre-mix and RF band-pass filters. The
last source for these exotic trimmers dried up recently. A redesign using
higher-TC trimmers might be possible, but the filters would end up being
triple-tuned, which would force the use of SMD components throughout, and
tuning the filters would then be very difficult without a spectrum analyzer.

Sales volume for the K1 has decreased in recent years due to the KX1 (which is
smaller and has a DDS VFO), and the KX3 (which covers all bands, all modes,
with up to 12 W output and has a much more capable auto tuner, nicer user
interface, etc.). So the cost of a redesign wouldn't be recovered.

That said, for the time being we're continuing to offer the two-band version
and the other options (KAT1 ATU, KBT1 battery pack, etc.). The K1 is one of our
"full" kits, and has a bit of a fan club of its own.

We'll update the website to reflect the change in option availability.

73,
Wayne
N6KR