I installed a K3EXREF and set up a Trimble Thunderbolt a few months
ago, and I've been very happy.

The K3EXREF was very easy to install - just remember that it's a very
good idea to use a static mat and wrist strap whenever you dive into
the inside of a K3. The instructions were quite clear, and since I'd built
my K3 from the kit, it was an easy procedure.

I don't have any experience with rubidium disciplined oscillators, but
I would suggest you take some time to read through the Time-Nuts
mailing list; the archive is at

time-nuts Info Page

time-nuts Info Page
time-nuts -- Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement   About
time-nuts
View on www.febo.com Preview by Yahoo

I was able to get a lot of good information there, and although I didn't
subscribe
and therefore don't know about any recent discussions, there is a treasure trove
of details about the use of various disciplined oscillators, including
rubidiums.

In addition, I know that Down East Microwave has, among a lot of other things,
a distribution box for 10MHz signal sources so that you can feed the K3 from
one port and feed the LO for a transverter off of another, and they also have LO
modules that incorporate PLL/VCOs that can sync to external 10MHz references.

And, yes, it's a heady feeling to know that, at least on HF, your K3 displays
your frequency right down to the nearest Hz. There is a write-up in the K3EXREF
documentation that explains that it's a real good idea to jot down the frequency
of the master oscillator so that if your external reference fails, you can tell
the K3
what you want it to set itself to, so that it doesn't jump to some arbitrary
frequency.

73 de N1HO