These SSB contests are indeed a joke!

Many signals are just terrible and as Jim K9YC says they are due to dumb
Ops maladjusting radio/amplifier settings NOT bad or unsuitable non
competitive  microphones.

The mentality appears to be Maximum power, legal or not and Maximum
bandwidth, splatter or not, the quality of the final signal, well... you
hear it and see it.

Why this message fails to get across I really don't know, but listening to
and watching the SSB contest melee is just, embarrassing.

However when you do hear a good Op with a well adjusted TX the signal is
outstanding, and I have to say most of the really good SSB signals do come
from the USA not Europe.

There should be something in contest rules to discourage or even outlaw the
sort of Loud and Dirty operation we hear on SSB, and not only in contests!

73, F5VJC