OK - got it resolved. Doing it the “old” way (using the MIC jack) worked OK,
but not on SSB - only CW. So, after getting some sleep and morning coffee, I
re-read Wayne’s note and the light bulb went on. I do have the Elecraft ACC2
Module (part number E980232) plugged into my ACC2 jack and the RCA connector
runs over to my KAT500/KPA500. I swapped out the TRRS plug on my PTT switch
with a mono plug, inserted it onto the 3.5mm jack on the ACC2 Module, and….
bingo - I have the desired PTT operation on both CW and SSB. And for anyone
interested, I have the KX3 menu ACC2 IO set to LO=Ptt.

Thanks for the help guys!

Oh, one last thing - first barefoot QSO after getting this going: W1AW/1 in RI
on 12 meter SSB; answered me on the first call with a big pileup underneath!
Followed by S57DX (Slovenia) on 17 meter SSB, also 10 watts. Very cool!!!

73, Jim