Tom,
As a beginner, don't get hung up on iambic. It's really for the advanced CW operator. It requires a double paddle, or squeeze key set and when you squeeze the paddles, you send alternating dits and dahs. Whether you send a dit or a dah first, is a matter if which side you squeezed first.

There all kinds of keys out there. As a beginner who most likely is not going to run high speed, almost any paddle set will work as long as the paddles move smoothly. The important thing is that it has a heavy enough base not to move around during excited sending. A Bencher is probably not a bad starting point. It uses a spring to make the paddle work and it doesn't feel all that bad. I use a good Vibroplex most of the time with an old Brown Brothers as my other main paddle set. I also have my first set which is an FYO set that Bencher copied.

No matter what kind of paddle set you get, you are going to need to adjust it for you. Whether you get spring loaded or magnetic tension paddles, the watch word is smoothness and response. At low speed response is not usually an issue. The rest of it is cosmetic. If there is a good CW operator near you, go see him and ask to play with his key/paddle set and see what it feels like. And then ask him why he sets his paddles as he does.

73,
Barry
K3NDM