I realize that this topic has been beaten to death, but I wouldlike to point
out one factoid. Down here in Florida - I'm down inthe southeastern part, and
AK4EH is way up in the Panhandle -there have been a number of instances in
which homeownerswere unpleasantly surprised to discover that their properties
werebeing offered for rent (or, even, sale!) by unknown/unauthorized third
parties.
There's been a huge upheaval in the real estate market here, generallyspeaking,
and a lot of people have been buying properties for cashbecause they don't want
to endure the hassles of getting a mortgage.Problem is, they're not performing
what lawyers (and business owners)call "due diligence", and end up at closing
to discover that they'rehanding money over to someone who doesn't own the
property. Oops.Same sort of thing is happening with rentals - folks put down a
deposit,and start to move in, only to be faced by the local constabulary witha
drawn firearm, at which point they realize that that great deal they goton the
Internet was totally bogus.
So, yes, there is always room for suspicion, sadly enough, and for thereasons
that others have voiced in this thread, as well as other reasonsthat may not
have come to light yet.
Just my 20 millidollars' worth
de N1HO