Since Wayne has returned from the holidays and the P3 Freeze is on the list, here's a little more "data" but not necessarily "information" ...

I have never observed the behavior being discussed on the P3 Bug thread.

I have always observed the following:

Select band 1 [doesn't matter what band], set REF LVL to put the noise on the baseline. Waterfall background is black, signals show up white [I'm in monochrome WF mode].

Select band 2 [doesn't matter what band], set REF LVL to put the noise on the baseline.

Re-select band 1. The noise will be above the baseline by about 10 dB or so and WF background will show the noise. After maybe 2 seconds, noise shifts down to the baseline and WF background goes black.

Happens every time I change bands, regardless of how I do it [BAND UP/DN on K3, band buttons on KPA500, or typing a frequency in the N1MM entry window], and it always has.

I don't think it is related in any way to the discussion but one never knows with software. During those 2 sec, it appears the P3 is receiving and displaying a valid spectrum, just offset above the baseline. It's not a problem for me, I consider it normal operation and it is what it is. But, just in case it's relevant ...

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 50th Running of the Cal QSO Party 3-4 Oct 2015
- www.cqp.org