Richard,

I don't know of any way to resurrect a failing encoder. The fact that the switch works is entirely different - the switch function is not related to the rotational function of the encoder.

I would simply replace the encoder.

As far as the fact that it works for the first 10 seconds after a power up is not really significant, that depends on the starting position of the encoder. If the output from the encoder does not cycle in the A to B (or B to A) sequence, the control will not be smooth, even though subsequent (through frustration) rotation of the encoder will produce some results.

73,
Don W3FPR