W4TV wrote:

>If you want to talk
>about a new feature set for a new model with a different UI, that's
>fine but don't mess with Split

"Don't mess with Split" is not your call to make, Joe.

> even the current basic implementation
>is obviously a problem.  Overload the control or [optionally] change
>the basic behavior of that control and you are going to cause real
>confusion.

At last, something we can agree about: "the current basic implementation
is obviously a problem".

The problem is that the current implementation of Split is *too* basic.
It cannot handle the routine task of preparing the K3 for pileup
operation without significant risk of human error. Hence the request for
a 'smarter' alternative that also includes the vital step of  moving
VFOB away from the frequency of the DX station.

I am totally confident that Elecraft can handle the implications of
offering two alternative behaviors for the [SPLIT] button, given that
Yaesu and Icom have long been able to offer two alternatives or even
three. I am also confident that Elecraft users are at least as competent
as Yaesu and Icom users.

Let's keep this in perspective: this is a straightforward feature
request for an option that already has a proven 20-year track record.
Since it would only be an option, every K3 user would still be free to
make their own individual choice.

Given all that, I see no reason for just *one* individual to have
responded in such a wildly exaggerated manner. "A K3 that has been
perverted with Quick Split"... wherever is *that* coming from?

73 from Ian GM3SEK