On 2/26/2015 11:12 PM, Cliff Frescura wrote:

> My thinking changed when UPS successfully lobbied the FCC in 1989 to
> reallocate part of 220MHz from Amateur to Commercial service.
>
> UPS argued that the reallocation was in the "public interest" and they would
> put the spectrum to good use.
>
> After a ruling in their favor, UPS never commercially deployed and the
> spectrum was unused for quite some time.

Urban legend.  "I wuz there."  It wasn't UPS - the key player in all
that was a "revolving door" former FCC Bureau chief who was a principal
in a now-defunct manufacturer trying to deploy equipment using their
unstable modulation scheme (ACSB == Amplitude-Compandered-Sideband), a
scheme that the major land-mobile equipment manufacturers rejected as
too unstable for deployment.  UPS was only the patsy waiting in the
wings patiently for workable equipment, and finally gave up and went
with a Motorola system in the then-newly-available 800 MHz band.

The amateur community didn't have "clean hands" because we failed to use
that part of the spectrum to any great extent, probably because of a
lack of reasonably-priced equipment at the time.  Let that be a lesson
for us in the future.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest