So I have seen (what I think) is every post about (possibly) using the KX3 as a
Remoterig controller for the K3.  I am trying to set this up, but currently
with limited success.  I need someone who has success with this and can pass
along some suggestions for success.  I can only find a 2012 posting from SM0JZT
where he got it to work:
Currently with the KX3 as the controller I can only power the remote K3 on/off,
none of the other limited set of features (outlined by N6KR such as VFO, mode,
filter, etc) are working.
Setup:
K3-0 Success:

   - With a borrowed K3-0, I have full control of the remoted K3 using the
Remoterigs.  The K3 is at NK7U and works beautifully with multiple control K3/0
minis at different locations including at my QTH.  I borrowed the K3/0 and have
given it back :(

Software Control Success:
   - Removing the K3/0 from the equation,  I can change the "Radio Settings -
Program Mode" in the remoterig configuration (control and radio ends) from
"14-Elecraft K3 Twin" to "4 - Yaesu, Kenwood, Elecraft".  This gives me the
"connect" button so I can turn on/off the K3, and it allows me to control the
remote K3 with software like N4PY or Win4K3Suite.  Work great and I have full
control of the K3, but not having a true VFO knob is a bit troublesome.
KX3 Control Unsuccessful:
   - Reverting the settings back to "14-Elecraft K3 Twin", putting the KX3 into
"rig control" mode and hooking up a homebrew RS232 cable, through a null modem
adapter, to COM2 of the remoterig box... the only control I seem to have is
power on/off of  the K3.  VFO, Filters, mode, AF, etc don't seem to be working.
 The homebrew serial cable I am using is:
http://eksfiles.net/2013/12/roll-your-own-serial-cable-for-the-elecraft-kx3/
and I am using a null modem adapter dongle between the cable and the Remoterig
box.  I think I have tried every other option of "program mode" on the
remoterig, but I need to go back and verify the "4" setting on the control and
the "14" setting on the radio at was mentioned in SM0JZT's yahoo group posting.
   - I am running a late mode KX3 and Remoterig with the latest firmware on
both (AFAIK).
So...  Any thoughts?   Has anyone tried this recently?  If you have this
working, what are the COM settings for the radio/control side?  Is there
something special needed for the null modem adapter?  For the K3-K3 twin setup
the remoterig manual shows RX and TX swapped, but also shows RTS/CTS swapped
(normal null modem hookup).  Of course with the 3 wires of the ACC1 of KX3
there are no RTS/CTS available.  Should I short these or do something with them
in the null modem adapter?  Lots of questions... hopefully someone has an
answer!
Thanks for any suggestions!
Jim/K7MK