Jerry
  I had the same problem with a WTCP at work.  We replaced it and the
bad one was recovered before it hit the trash can.
The magnetic switch in the barrel was stuck 'on' and never cycled.  When
all else failed I gave it a good wack on the bench.
That was enough to free the switch.  It's given me good service for 30
years now, with most tips lasting several years.

Warning - do not try this at home without proper training.

John
WA8KNE

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Jerry,
Thanks for that advice. I did notice that the tip seemed to be glowing
and that the charing is consistent with the tip being hotter than it
should (ie always on). I checked the magnetic slug and is may have
seized. I also noticed that there was no clicking sound when the problem
charring occured. I have a copy of the WTCPT tech sheet and
troubleshooting guide. My iron is only 2 months old and hadn't expected
it to need repair so soon.

On the WTCPT, how tight should the barrel nut be screwed in? I had been
tightening finger tight but I wonder if it is better to back it off a
few threads?

Regards,
Jeff