Mark,
You are faced with what is becoming common. I assume you are running your KX3 barefoot. That makes your antenna installation critical. The problem with most simple antennas are they require a very good ground to really be effective. If you have been using the Buddy Pole as a vertical and many other variants, you are trying to use a 1/4 wave antenna with out a ground which is a must for this configuration.

The Alexloop works well on 20-10 meters, but is very narrow band. As you already own one and if you are running QRP, use it. Just tune it around where you want to operate.

You don't mention whether you have an attic in your town house and have access to it. If you do, a fan dipole in the attic works FB. The problem will be to run you feed line down. You have a few choices. One choice is to find the waste stack vent and feed your transmission line beside the pipe. There is usually enough room for this, but you can only run RG-8X for smaller, typically. The other choice is to run your transmission line like the cable guys do it, drill a hole in the wall in the attic and drop it down to where you want it to come in and drill another hole and bring it in.

Portable antenna are interesting. You could use an end fed affair. The one I like is distributed by the Hawaiian Emergency Radio Club, or some name like that. They sell them as multiband antennas, but they work best with correct wire lengths for the band you want to operate. Changing to another wire in a 1 minute affair including recovering the nut that you drop on the ground. It is basically a 9:1 unum with a 1/2 wave wire attached. A couple of #22 gauge wires and the unum shouldn't exceed about a pound.

All of these suggestion will work, But they will not perform as well a good beam or antennas in the clear. However, my suggestion for the portable antenna does do a credible job; I have one.

73,
Barry
K3NDM