I use:
With the Elecraft NiMH charger...

 *      2550mAh type, 2450mAh min, Ni-MH High Capacity pre-charged
   rechargeable battery
 *      Recharge up to 500 times
 *      Maintain 85% of their charge up to 1 year (when not in use)
 *      No memory effect - batteries can be recharged when fully, or
   partially discharged
 *      Work in extreme temperatures down to -4 DegreeF

Panasonic BK-3HCCA8BA*Eneloop Pro AA High Capacity Ni-MH *Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 8-Pack
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSL28/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=28VPZ85K0BU48&coliid=I1TVX5ZVH8C4MB&psc=1

I also use an external battery pack to run 10W:
A123 homemade battery pack {4 cells - cost about $40}
http://www.a123rc.com/goods-101-8+PCS+Nano-Phosphate+LiFePO4+Original+A123+ANR26650M1A+Cell.html

73, steve WB3LGC