Jim,
The SignaLink sound card is quite adequate for running digital modes on HF, and it appears to be better than the one in my Toshiba Satellite laptop. However, I do use a professional level USB card for my panadapter which is far more demanding. And, PTT is less clunky if you're not knowledgeable enough to set VOX properly.

There are some secondary, subtle, issues with running using the built in software for RTTY, CW, and PSK on the KX3. Those are you can't run the other modes should you desire and you can't see multiple streams of data simultaneously which is very useful if you looking for picking up awards.

Using an external sound card frees up your computer sound card for other things while you demod/decode digital signals. For the cost of a SignaLink USB, or equivalent for about $100, you open up a layer or two of additional flexibility. My interface is permanently in my KX3 audio line with my amplified speakers coming off the Aux. on the back of the I/F. I can switch modes by just invoking data a mode on the KX3 and replacing my mic with the cable from my interface.

I interpret what you are saying as being heavily biased toward operating on the digital modes. That's OK, but I use CW and phone as much if not more. So, I designed my station for ease of mode switching and maximum performance.

Vy 73,
Barry
K3NDM