Al,

Let me pose a set of conditions, and see if I understand this...

Is the smearing caused mostly by the phase noise sidebands, as a
resultant of phase flicker?

i.e. If the phase noise were reduced on a transmitting VFO, then the
smearing would also be reduced, because the sidebands would no longer
reflect the wide band phase noise, as-- well-- sidebands?  Is this
correct?

If so, then does that mean that as a station gets stronger, one picks up
more of the phase noise, (a function of how far from center one is), and
that is why a signal gets wider as it gets stronger?

It occurs to me that the the the RX VFO phase noise would be less
influencing, (on phase noise sidebands), than the transmit VFO phase
noise...  Is that correct?

If so, then that would explain why the largest change occurred when
K7OLN got his new synthesizer, as opposed to me getting my new
synthesizer, as shown in the difference between photos 2 and 3.

Is my understanding correct?

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net