Bill,
For your usage, I would not even worry about replacing the K3 with a
K3S.  Just upgrade the synthesizer, and that is about all you will need
for Rag Chewing, etc...  Now, if you decide to start hunting DX, etc,
then you might start to worry...

I have a comparison between the old and new synthesizers at:

http://nk7z.net/wiki/elecraft-k3-macros/elecraft-k3-xlr-to-radio/elecraft-k3-new-synthesizer/

using P3 screen shots to show what happens before and after new
synthesizers are added to two different K3 rigs, at two different
stations, with antenna about 700 feet apart.

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net

For MixW support see;